- 2019 November 7-28: Sanford Gallery, Zea Mays Printmaking studio, Florence, Massachusetts
- 2019 November 7-28: Syncronicity, Zea Mays membership show at Easthampton City Arts, Easthampton, Massachusetts
- 2019 October 24-27: Getting Good at Saying Goodbye – Snippets of Iceland portfolio exhibited at the Artist and Editions Bookfair (A/EB) in New York City
- 2019 September 9-24: Granted a two week artist residency at the Tyrone Guthrie Centre, Ireland
- 2019 June: Juried group show, A3 Gallery, Amherst, Massachusetts
- 2019 May: Accepted as a member to Oxbow Gallery, co-op in Northampton, Massachusetts
- 2018 October: Zea Mays Printmaking studio membership show at A.P.E. Gallery, Northampton, Massachusetts
- 2018 October 24-28: ICELAND HORIZONS portfolio was accepted into Artist and Editions Bookfair (A/EB) in New York City and was acquired by the New York City Library’s Special Collections.
- 2017 February: Accepted as a member of Zea Mays Printmaking studio, Florence, Massachusetts
- 2016 Published my own book of photography and design "Iceland’s Alphabet of Wild Flowers"
- 2016 March Participated in a group show on typography with seven other graphic designers
- 2016 Invited to join a group of eight graphic designers to show works periodically
- 2015 Appointed by the Iceland Design Centre to be on a judge’s panel
- 2008 Won best logo in competition for Iceland’s largest national park, Vatnajökulsþjóðgarður
- 2009 Won best logo in competition for Friends of Vatnajökull,
a non-profit organization
- Bookbuilders of Boston:
- 2009 Best of Show in Reference Category: Curious George First Dictionary (Publ. HMCo)
- 2004 Best of Show in Reference Category: Children’s Science Dictionary (Publ. HMCo)
- 2004 “Profile Interview” Newsletter Winter 2004
- 2003 Winner in Covers Category: Boston Bookbuilders Book Show Catalog (Publ. BBB)
- 2002 Winner in Reference Category: Student’s Science Dictionary (Publ. HMCo)
2019 Member of Oxbow Gallery, Northampton MA
2018 Monotype Guild of New England
2017 Zea Mays Printmaking Studio, Florence Massachusetts
2019 May – June: Monotype Guild of New England. Juried member's exhibition in Pawtucket, RI
2018 October 24-28: ICELAND HORIZONS portfolio was accepted into Artist and Editions Bookfair (A/EB) in New York City and was acquired by the New York City Library’s Special Collections.
2018 October - November: Curated exhibit, Zea Mays Printmaking Biennial 2018, A.P.E. Gallery, Northampton, MA
2018 August - October: Curated group exhibit, Historic Northampton, Northampton, MA
2018 June: Group exhibit Membership Show, Sanford Gallery, Zea Mays Printmaking, Florence MA
2017 July: Curated membership Show, Zea Mays Printmaking, Hosmer Gallery,
Forbes Library, Northampton, MA
2017 October: Group exhibit, Juried show: Northampton Arts Council Biennial, Hosmer Gallery, Forbes Library, Northampton, MA
2017 November: Group exhibit Membership Show, Zea Mays Printmaking, Motherbrook Arts and Culture Center, Dedham, Northampton, MA
2016 March: DesignMarch, Membership Show, Tákn&Teikn group,
2016 September: Membership Show, Tákn&Teikn group, Gerðuberg Culture Center, Reykjavík, Iceland
2019 March: Two person exhibit VIEWPOINT, Sanford Gallery, Zea Mays Printmaking, Florence, MA
2018 April: "NO WORDS"; two person exhibit at Sanford Gallery, Zea Mays Printmaking, Riverside Drive, Florence MA
RESUME / CV
2007 – present PORT hönnun / PORT Design, Reykjavík, Iceland
Founder and Creative Director
Please see http://www.porthonnun.is/en for a variety of samples of graphic design work.
2005-2007 Studio Edda, Brighton MA
Principal Designer, Freelance
Beacon Hill Civic Association, Friends of the Boston Public Garden, Houghton Mifflin Publishin Co., Boston Museum of Science, Fable Vision Inc., Pearson Education in Boston, Double O Publishing in Boston and Dublin.
Provided clients with print design projects, from concept to finish. Among the projects was a large number of books that I art directed across three sites: Iceland, Boston MA and Ireland.
2003-2005 Mazer Creative Services. Boston MA, Ohio and Florida
Director of Art+Design / Creative Director
Provide creative art direction and supervise staff of over 30 members of combined art buyers, in-house designers and freelance designers on educational design projects K-12 for various publishers nationwide.
Provided art and design direction across three sites: Massachusetts, Ohio and Florida. Coordinating work in all disciplines, emphasizing competitive design direction and art program taking into account different needs of various clients.
Major clients nationwide:
Houghton Mifflin; Great Source; Scott Foresman; Harcourt;
Harcourt Achieve; Prentice Hall NJ and MA; Macmillan McGraw-Hill NY and other MMH companies: Glencoe CA; Glencoe Peoria IL; Glencoe, Columbus OH; SRA; Ohio Arts Council, Boonshoft Science Museum.
Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company, School Division. Boston MA
1996 -2003 Design Project Manager
Hire, art direct and supervise staff and freelance designers on various educational design projects. Art directed and supervised visual program for Houghton Mifflin Math CD-ROM Intervention program. Strong contributor to overall art program, selected and directed illustrators in addition to art directing design staff.
Art directed and managed outside design vendors nationwide.
Worked closely with Houghton Mifflin Marketing and Sales group, as well as Market Research group to understand market needs. Also, worked closely with Editorial division as well as Electronic Production group to ensure the most desired outcome of each project.
1994-1996 Senior Designer
Lead designer for major educational programs aimed at a national, highly competitive educational publishing market.
1993 – 1994 Art director/Cover Designer, Houghton Mifflin Company,
Design covers, direct freelance designers, coordinate between design and editorial, follow through on printing and manufacturing.
1986 – 1993 Principal Designer, Freelance, Greenwood Design Studio,
Addison Wesley, Little Brown Publishing, Houghton Mifflin Publishing,
1972 – 1980 Auglýsingastofa Gísli B. Björnsson (Advertising Agency
in Reykjavík, Iceland)
Jr. Designer, Sr. Designer
Achieved professional growth over eight years from Junior Designer
to Art Director.
Projects included: Advertisements print/TV, book design both interior
and covers, magazine layout, corporate identity, corporate collateral materials and postage stamps.
Mentor program with Lynn Peterfreund, http://www.lynnpeterfreund.com
Also various workshops at ZMP
Master of Art, Degree in Advertising Design, 1999 – 2001
1980 - 2002 Various courses in art, design and computer software applications,
- University of Missouri-St. Louis, MO,
- Salem State College, MA,
- Massachusetts College of Art, MA
Bachelor of Arts, Major degree in Graphic Design with minor degree in Illustration,
- Spring 2005 Iceland Graphics Institute, Reykjavík, Iceland.
- Public forum speaking followed by three days of Book Design Workshop for working professionals within graphic design and book manufacturing
- Fall Semester 2002 and Spring Semester 2003
Emerson College, Boston Massachusetts.
Certificate of Publishing, Layout and Design Module
- October and November, 2000 Bookbuilders of Boston.
- October – November, 2002 and 2004.
Bookbuilders of Boston, Chair and creator of Fall Workshops.
- 2015-Present The Association of Visual Artists, Iceland (SÍM)
- 1974-Present Graphic Artists Guild, Iceland
(Félag íslenskra teiknara)
- 2002-Present Bookbuilders of Boston, Member of the Board
- 2002-Present Member of AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts)
- 2005-06 Bookbuilders of Boston, Design Chair of Newsletter
- 2003 Bookbuilders of Boston, Consultant Fall Workshops,
- 2002 Bookbuilders of Boston Book Show Catalog designer
- 2001 Basic Workshops Committee member
- 1999 Bookbuilders of Boston, Member of Judges panel for
the Annual New England Book Show